One of the greatest means to prevent Satan from overwhelming our hearts is to know the entrances he exploits to find a way into them. Some of them are:
- Anger and lustfulness.
- Jealousy and avarice.
- Overeating — this strengthens the carnal appetites which are the weapons of Satan.
- Love of ostentatious furniture, clothing and houses.
- Seeking to impress people.
- Haste and inadequate preparation for tasks.
- The love of money.
- Stinginess and fear of poverty.
- A fanatical defense of one’s positions and opinions.
- A bad opinion of other Muslims.